Restoring Play Time to Children at Cedar Heights
Located in Southeast, Washington, D.C., Cedar Heights is a low-income housing community serving hundreds of residents, many of them children that have no place to play after school and on weekends. The community currently has a small, rundown playground with broken or missing swings, rusted and inoperable rocking horses, and a few other pieces of equipment that are in very poor condition. The erection of a new playground will provide residents and members of the surrounding community with a safe, fun place to play.
Teaming up with KaBOOM!, The Washington Redskins Charitable Foundation, and Clark Construction Group, CPDC will engage staff, residents, community members, and volunteers to plan for, design, and construct a custom playground at Cedar Heights. But, returning play to these youth requires your help.
CPDC must raise $20,000 to make the playground a reality.
Ways you can help!
1. Donate – Consider making a contribution of any size. Every dollar counts and helps CPDC meet its goal. Proceeds in excess of the $20,000 goal will be used to support other health and wellness activities for youth across our communities.
2. Volunteer – CPDC invites you to volunteer for this project, either as an individual or as a group (e.g., organizations, college students, civic club, etc.). No experience is necessary, just the willingness to serve!
- Build Day Volunteers needed on Fri. April 4, 2014 from 8:00am – 3:00pm to erect the playground, including assembling playground equipment; building benches, flower boxes and trellises; or painting and placing equipment.
- Can’t volunteer on the 4th? Join us for a Prep Day! On April 2-3, 2014 we need 15 – 30 Prep Day Volunteers from 8:00am – 5:00pm. These volunteer will prepare the space for erecting the playground (e.g., unloading equipment truck, digging and leveling the ground, separating playground equipment, etc.).
3. Lend your voice – Join us on Facebook and Twitter and share your thoughts on CPDC’s KaBOOM! Playground Build using the hashtags #growandthrive and #playmatters. We also encourage you to “like,” “repost,” or “retweet” this opportunity on your personal social media platform(s).
4. Spread the word – Please share this giving opportunity with family members, friends, community leaders, businesses, and other organizations.
Thank you in advance for your support. Your contributions ensure that CPDC and communities together, grow and thrive.